The Spina Bifida Association (SBA) serves adults and children who live with the challenges of spina bifida. Since 1973, SBA is the only national voluntary health agency solely dedicated to enhancing the lives of those with spina bifida and touched by this challenging birth defect. Tools that SBA provide include education, advocacy, research, and service.
The Internship Program at SBA is an internship structured to help candidates develop a real depth of knowledge and gain valuable experience in marketing, public relations and communications while making positive contributions to the SBA community. Candidates will help SBA revolutionize access to information and promote openness and transparency, while acquiring competencies across a broad range of key skills under the marketing umbrella including communications skills, organizational skills, project management and relationship management.
Candidates will be an integral part of the SBA marketing team and assume responsibility and ownership of various marketing programs and projects. This will include presentations, discussions and special projects to demonstrate skills and understanding of industry standards and issues.
Interns are expected to be self-starters, self-guided and able to work independently. We provide internship opportunities on a rolling-basis of varying duration, from semester to year-long. At the end of the internship, interns will present a comprehensive marketing plan, each with a specific focus to the marketing department and SBA President & CEO. Individuals in various stages of their academic and professional careers are encouraged to apply.
Internships – Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area
We are looking for bright and enthusiastic students or recent graduates on a rolling basis to start immediately in our national office located in the Rosslyn community of Arlington, Virginia for a minimum duration of 3 months. We offer placements for those with experience and interest in Marketing, PR, Communications, Digital Media, or a related field. To apply for any of these positions, please email your CV and cover letter to:
National Director Communications & Outreach
Design your internship experience around one or more of the following areas:
- Brand Management & Corporate Communications
- Community Management
- Digital Analytics Strategist
- Event Marketing
- Public Relations & Community Outreach
Brand Management & Corporate Communications
The Brand Management & Corporate Communications Intern will help optimize and implement brand and corporate strategies for SBA. Our ideal candidate will understand the importance of linking marketing strategies with corporate strategies, aligning brand and organization values.
- Draft internal and external communications materials, maintain our email contact list; draft, format, and send e-blasts through MailChimp
- Assist with the development of brand and communication guidelines, including messaging, templates, and best practices
- Work with corporate and national chapters to ensure brand consistency and alignment of mission and values
- Help develop SBA’s digital quarterly magazine, SB Insights including generating ideas for features and articles, editorial planning, and drafting articles
- Update website as necessary to reflect ongoing calendar of events and news and ensure content is relevant and up-to-date
- Track communications efforts by similar nonprofit organizations
- Provide general support, as well as overall assistance with broader campaign initiatives
- Assist in the planning of layout and design projects, and special communications projects as needed
Community Management (Social Media)
The Community Management intern will assist in building and managing SBA’s online communities to engage and grow our base of supporters, ambassadors and donors. Our ideal candidate understands the role of social media in public relations, digital marketing and communications.
- Create and post content for SBA’s social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram
- Monitor and engage on social media channels on a daily basis on behalf of SBA and its chapters
- Draft and maintain content calendars (including writing copy, sourcing imagery, and working with in-house graphic designer to create custom imagery)
- Keyword research, tagging, and optimization implementation
- Implement annual campaigns including National Spina Bifida Awareness Month and Birth Defects Prevention Month
- Identify and curate lists of influencers/brand activists
- Create and share regular content highlights and construct basic analytics briefs for the communications department
- Monitor brand milestones (i.e. reaching 100,000 fans) and organize creative ways to celebrate them
- Conduct audit of social media platforms, suggest additional social media platforms based on new and existing programs, and database maintenance
- Report, monitor, and provide status on community growth, satisfaction, and engagement
- Research latest strategies, trends, best practices and share with the Marcomm team to help guide social media strategy
- Support development and execution of new online campaigns and initiatives
Digital Analytics Strategist
The Digital Analytics Strategist Intern will help create, plan, and implement digital campaigns and a measurement strategy, and implement analytics tools, analyze data, and present findings –both written and visual – to help SBA make smart decisions about digital strategy. Our ideal candidate understands the role of digital campaigns and analytics in digital strategy, information architecture, page design, and inbound marketing channels.
- Create and envision digital campaigns across all social media
- Create a user profiles and best way to target and message to him/her
- Create comprehensive campaign reports built on web and social analytics to help inform digital strategy
- Ability to data-mine across web analytics packages like Google Analytics, Google Ads, and Crowdbooster to help tell a story for our campaigns;
- Understanding of site/app tagging advantages and implementation
- Creation of dashboards and data visualizations to help SBA and communications Marcomm team make informed data-driven decisions and optimizations
- Demonstrate ability to perform ROI analysis
- Research and provide insights on new media measurement such as online video, social media and website
The Event Marketing Intern will help support and plan SBA’s signature events to achieve current and long-term marketing and event objectives, including but not limited to the National Spina Bifida Conference, and Educational Days. Our ideal candidate understands the role of event marketing to build relationships, start conversations, and grow market share.
- Support all pre-event planning activities including but not limited to invite list creation, speaker and sponsor management, event promotion, administrative logistics, attendee materials, and event execution
- Help to draft, format, and send mass emails, including newsletters, event invitations, and thank you letters
- Assist with the development of presentations and marketing collateral, including PowerPoint decks, signage, pamphlets, and brochures
- Assist with agenda development including issuance of speaker invitations, securing confirmations, and speaker database maintenance
- Support all post-event activities including but not limited to event analysis, surveys, follow-up and thank you letters
- Provide support as needed for other event and SBA marketing initiatives
Public Relations & Community Outreach
The Public Relations & Community Outreach Intern will help engage in outreach to communities in SBA’s network, with a special focus on the Spina Bifida Collaborative Care Network (SBCCN) and medical and health professionals. Our ideal candidate will understand the role of public relations to build relationships, make connections and garner support for organizational programs and initiatives, campaigns and social causes.
- Help implement strategic and tactical communications strategies to promote SBA and its programs and initiatives, campaigns, and events
- Draft press releases, media advisories, assemble press kits, and develop other public relations materials
- Build and maintain media lists, pitch and track news releases, monitor news coverage, and build coverage spreadsheets
- Work cross-functionally with Brand Management, Corporate Communications, and Event Marketing Interns
- Help to identify opportunities to engage existing and potential corporate groups and sponsors
- Identify and maintain existing relationships with experts, medical and health professionals, leaders in the spina bifida community and community partners, including but not limited to clinics, social service and other organizations with complementary missions
- Work on direct outreach campaigns to engage with the SBCCN network or on promotional outreach campaigns for Spina Bifida Awareness Month and Birth Defects Prevention Month
- Maintain organized and up-to-date outreach progress reports and track outreach success
- Specific project activities may include outreach through social media, news jacking, and research
SBA welcomes applicants in all stages of academic or professional development—applicants do not need to be enrolled in an academic program. The organization does require, however, that individuals demonstrate a passion for marketing, public relations, communications, digital media or a related field, or have previous experience in the internship for which they are applying.
Location of Internship & Transportation
SBA is conveniently located near the Rosslyn metro stop on the Orange and Blue Lines in Arlington, VA, just one stop out of Washington D.C. in the Rosslyn community.
1600 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22209
Interns may receive academic credit if an agreement is made between SBA and the intern’s college or university. All interns are subject to the applicable SBA Personnel Handbook.
Acknowledgments and Compensation
All interns will be hired on a part-time basis and required to work 2-3 days a week. Interns will receive a stipend commensurate with experience. SBA will not offer assistance with travel and living expenses, meals or relocation fees, and does not sponsor international applicants for a work visa. Must be a local candidate but telecommuting is ok.
We gladly work with interns to accommodate class schedules, volunteer opportunities, degree requirements, and attending meetings of interest.
Each applicant may choose only one position for which to apply. Experience for each specific position must be addressed in a cover letter.
Intern applications are considered on an ongoing basis. We offer single and multi-semester internships, in addition to summer or yearlong opportunities. Internship suggested deadlines:
- Fall/Winter: August 29
- Winter/Spring: Rolling Admission
- Summer: March 1
- Submit a short paragraph about how working with SBA will advance your professional and academic goals. In particular, describe what skills you offer and those you wish to gain during your internship. (250 words MAX)
- Resume or CV
- Please specify your desired position in your subject line.
Submitting Your Application Materials
SBA encourages environmentally friendly behavior and we prefer applicants to email their application materials to Mark Bohay at email@example.com. Due to the volume of applications, only those applicants who are asked to interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest.