• Contact your local Department of Transportation. Request information about public transportation in your area.
  • If your community lacks public bussing, commuting trains, or subway system, contact your local mayor’s office and schedule a meeting with them. Let them know you need to get around your community and ask how they can help you.
  • If you are interested in driving and want to know more about Driver’s Education, contact your local DMV. They should have a representative that can refer you to adaptive Driver’s Ed programs. Please refer to these automakers for mobility packages and information on auto sales and hand controls.
  • If you receive certain Medicare/Medicaid benefits, you may want to contact your caseworker, as they may be able to assist you in accessing monies for vehicle modifications. Restrictions apply.
  • Modified vehicles can be very costly. Contact your local Spina Bifida Chapter for assistance.
  • Contact your local United Way for resources in your area.


Recommended Reading

Organizations that Can Help

U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Hotline
This hotline is designed to assist air travelers with disabilities.

Hand Controls

Used Vehicles

Please note: It important that you discuss with each manufacturer the amount of use your vehicle will undergo, as temporary or portable controls may not be suitable for long term use.